Smooth and sweet lemon lime filling nestled in a crunchy graham cracker crust.
Full of bright flavours, and probably one of the easiest pies to whip together, this pie is a cross between lemon meringue and key lime pie. The beauty of this dessert is its simplicity. Simple to make, simple clean flavours and simplest of all to eat. A simple little pie that manages to be crunchy, creamy, tangy, tart and sweet all at the same time.
Citrus flavours are just made for February. If you’re one of those poor souls digging your way out after the massive snowstorms that seem to be hitting much of Canada and the US right now, the taste of this pie will whisk you away to spring picnics, blossoming buds and visions of blue skies. If you’re lucky enough to be experiencing actual spring weather (yay, Vancouver!) this pie will suit you just fine too. We’re all winners!
Although lemon lime pie is delicious topped with a layer of whipped cream or meringue, I left it off this time as I didn’t want anything diluting that pop of bright zesty citrus I was craving. The smooth and silky texture the condensed milk lends to the filling is creamy enough on its own, with just the right amount of sweetness to balance that beautiful lemon lime zing.
Reason #1203 to make this pie? Exercise. I felt a beautiful biceps burn as I rolled and juiced my way through that glorious pile of fresh lemons and limes. Yes, you must use freshly squeezed lemon and limes, no bottled juices please! Remember to roll your fruits on the counter a few times before juicing. This helps to break up all the tiny little segments and fibres inside so you can squeeze every last drop of goodness out.
Lemon Lime Pie
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups condensed milk (approx. 1 and 1/2 cans)
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly whisk together egg yolks, lime zest and lemon zest, about 2 minutes. Add in the condensed milk and whisk until smooth. Cover and set aside at room temperature to thicken, about 30 minutes.
- While the filling is thickening, prepare the crust. Mix together graham crumbs, melted butter and sugar until completely combined. Press mixture into bottom and sides of 9″ pie dish. Bake crust for 13-15 minutes, until just beginning to lightly brown.
- Immediately pour the pie filling into the warm crust. Place back in oven and bake 15 – 18 minutes. It should be set, but still jiggle slightly once shaken. Cool on rack for about 30 minutes, then transfer to fridge and chill completely, about 2 – 3 hours.