Buttery shortbread, creamy cheesecake and sweet pecan pie come together in one amazing cheesecake square.
Pecan pie? Cheesecake? Shortbread? You like these? Good! You’re going to love this week’s recipe, because it takes all three and layers them all into one delicious square. This is an out-of the-world recipe. If you have any favours you need to ask of anyone, this is the dessert you need to have on hand for bribing. You know, to sweeten the deal…pun intended.
In fact, these pecan pie cheesecake squares are so delicious they were almost demolished before I had a chance to photograph them! I was enjoying myself in the kitchen, taking my time, just kind of off in my own little baking world. You know those moments, I know you have them too, right? When you find yourself speaking with a British/Jamaican/Texan accent, pretending you’re the host of your own fabulous cooking show….no? Just me? Moving on then.
Anyway, when I was finally ready to take those final, crucial, shots of the finished product, I had completely lost the light. I told the Argentinian (in no uncertain terms) that the cheesecake squares could not be eaten until the next day after I’d done my shoot. He rolled his eyes.
We thought we’d just try one. But you know how it goes – one is never enough. Creeping doubts overcame me as I bit into pecan pie cheesecake deliciousness. Do I really need every single square to be in the pictures?
It took a LOT of discipline to save some for the next day. But we persevered, and here I present to you, the photos. I think I truly captured the sense of desperation and hunger surrounding their creation.
Pecan Pie Cheesecake Squares
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (250 g) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pecan Pie Topping
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- 3/4 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8″ square pan with parchment paper, with the sides slightly hanging over the edges of the pan (for easy removal).
- For the shortbread crust, combine the flour and brown sugar with a whisk. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Stir in the chopped pecans. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 5 minutes, remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes.
- Cream the cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the sugar, then add in the vanilla and cream. Pour over the cooled shortbread crust. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes.
- For the pecan pie topping, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup and melted butter. Stir in the beaten eggs, salt and vanilla. Gently fold in the pecan halves. Pour over the cooled cheesecake layer. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, until golden brown and set.
- Cool completely, then cut into squares.