This pumpkin bread is cinnamon spiced and everything nice. With warm pumpkin flavour, a cream cheese ribbon and melted chocolate chips, it’s basically autumn in a loaf pan.
Pumpkin is so versatile. it tastes great with a huge range of flavours, and adds beautiful colour to baking. I use canned puree, but I bow down to anyone who’s making their own.
Lately I feel like I’ve been baking everything and anything pumpkin, but somehow still have pumpkin puree to use up. So I decided to take all my favourite ingredients that pair nicely with pumpkin and throw them all into one delicious quick bread. Cream cheese, cinnamon, chocolate…. yes, yes and yes.
Whenever I bake with pumpkin, I’m reminded of my years spent in New Zealand. As October rolled around, I’d get a little nostalgic for pumpkin pie and pumpkin spice lattes, even though it was spring there. Yes, they have pumpkin in New Zealand, but it’s eaten as a roast veggie (which, by the way, is DELICIOUS), so pumpkin desserts sounded a little strange to my Kiwi friends. Not insane, just a little….strange. I think if they tried this pumpkin chocolate cream cheese bread, they would be converted.
Pumpkin Chocolate Cream Cheese Bread
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 cup pumpkin purée, canned or fresh
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 package cream cheese (250g)
- 1/8 cup sugar (just roughly fill half of your 1/4 cup measure)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a loaf pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in sour cream, pumpkin and vanilla.
- In a seperate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixutre, mixing just until combined. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg, milk and vanilla together until smooth.
- Pour enough pumpkin bread batter into the prepared loaf pan to completely cover the bottom. Spoon cream cheese filling on top (leaving aside 1/4 cup or so for the top layer).
- Pour the rest of the pumpkin bread batter into the pan. Top with the remaining cream cheese mixture. Using a toothpick, gently swirl the top layer of cream cheese mixutre through the pumpkin bread batter.
- Bake 60 – 70 minutes, until the top is golden and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.